CAPE TOWN, Aug. 21 — South Africa’s African National Congress (ANC) in Western Cape province confirmed that two members were shot dead in Knysna on Thursday night, just one day after the death of the town’s former mayor.
“The ANC in the Western Cape is deeply concerned and disturbed by the gruesome and senseless shootings that are taking place in Knysna,” the ANC said in a statement on Friday.
The South African Police Service (SAPS) in Western Cape said the two victims, aged 47 and 48, were in a vehicle in the Bongani area of Knysna when they came under fire from unidentified gunmen at about 9:00 p.m. local time on Thursday.
“The provincial serious violent crimes detective team that had been investigating another shooting incident in the area that had occurred on Wednesday evening involving a councilor in the area, has since been reinforced,” police said, referring to former Knysna mayor and current ANC ward councilor Aubrey Tsengwa, who was shot dead one day before.
“No arrests have been effected yet, with SAPS investigators hard at work in search of leads,” police added.
The ANC will on Saturday announce its mayoral candidates for the 2026 Local Government Elections, scheduled to be held on Nov. 4. (Namibia Daily News / Xinhua)


