RUNDU, 30 MAY – The Ministry of Fisheries and Marine Resources has warned against the consumption of oysters and mussels from Walvis Bay Aquaculture Production Area 1.
A media statement issued by the ministry on Wednesday said levels of Diarrhetic Shellfish Poisoning (DSP) toxins higher than permissible levels were found when oysters and mussels samples from the area were recently tested for biotoxins.
The tests were carried out during official sampling and testing facilitated by the Namibian Standards Institution as part of the National Shellfish Sanitation Programme.
“…It is unsafe to consume oysters and mussels until further notice. The public should note that marine biotoxins are not destroyed by cooking or freezing,” the statement said.
DSP manifests itself as intense diarrhoea and severe abdominal pains. It can also cause nausea and vomiting.
Symptoms usually set in within half an hour of eating infected shellfish and last for at least a day.
“As no life threatening symptoms generally emerge from this, no fatalities from DSP have so far been recorded,” the statement said.
Medical assistance should however be sought if any of the symptoms are experienced.