MANILA, Aug. 13 — Nearly 60,000 are still in evacuation centers after severe flooding in the Philippines caused at least two deaths and one missing, a government disaster agency said on Monday.
The National Disaster Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said a total of 248,080 families or 1,057,767 people in 713 villages across the country have been affected by flooding triggered by southwest monsoon rain since last week.
The NDRRMC said in a report that a total of 13,724 families or 59,108 people are sheltered in temporary government shelters.
A 36-year-old male and a 61-year-old female have drowned in Metro Manila, the agency said.
A 50-year-old man was reported missing also in Metro Manila.
The NDRRMC warned that many areas, including in the Philippine main Luzon Island, will continue to experience “occasional rains” caused by the southwest monsoon. The agency also warned of “possible flooding and landslides due to scattered rains and thunderstorms.”
Moreover, it warned some provinces in the Visayas region in the central Philippines and in Mindanao in the southern Philippines will also experience isolated showers and thunderstorms that could trigger flash floods and landslides.
The bad weather has also damaged over 3,000 houses, roads, bridges, power supply and seaports, according to the report.
Philippine Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said that a total of 133.8 million pesos (about 2.5 million U.S. dollars) worth of assistance provided by the government has been extended to the affected Filipinos. – XINHUA