WINDHOEK, 26 NOV – Secretary to Cabinet George Simataa quashed insinuations that Cabinet resolved to reserve 70 per cent of resettlement farms for veterans of the liberation struggle and their dependents.
This is captured in a statement issued to the media on the weekend, in which Simataa responded to a report by one of the local dailies.
The Namibian Sun on Friday reported that Cabinet approved a recommendation that 70 per cent of all future resettlement farms be reserved for war veterans and their dependents, with the remaining 30 per cent to be shared by the national pool of applicants.
Simataa said the article is “devoid of any truth, factually inaccurate and is deliberately poised to mislead the Namibian public.”
The second National Land Conference in October resolved that as per the ratio of land allocation, dispossessed communities, war veterans and their dependents must benefit from the 70 per cent share, whereas 30 per cent is for the national pool.
“Cabinet during its meeting held (on) 20 November 2018 further resolved that reference to war veterans of the liberation struggle and their dependents should be limited to veterans from the affected communities in respect to the 70:30 ratio under the resettlement programme for the benefit of land dispossessed communities,” Simataa explained.
He noted that it means that beneficiary veterans of the liberation struggle and their dependents contemplated in the resolution should be veterans from the affected communities. – NAMPA