WINDHOEK, AUG 12- The Ministry of Health and Social Services in conjunction with other ministries such as the Ministry of Agriculture, have launched investigations in the Omusati region for the Crimean-Congo Hemorrhagic Fever.
This comes after a 63-year old male passed away after he was admitted for showing syptoms of Crimean-Congo Haemorragic Fever (CCHF), on 9 August 2017.
The patient was admitted on 7 August 2017 at Windhoek Central Hospital’s Isolation Unit. Prior to his transfer to the capital’s hospital, he had been admitted at a Private Hospital on 4 August 2017, after complaints of a headache, chills, body aches, nausea and vomiting.
Ministry of Health Acting permanent-secretary Bertha Katjivena said the patient had a history of a tick bite about a week and a half prior. She pointed out that the patient had traveled from Uukwandongo village in Okahao District, Omusati region to Windhoek for on event on 1 August 2017.
“Blood tests were sent to South Africa for (further) testing and the results came out positive meaning we can now confirm that the patient had CCHF,” Katjivena said.
People at the village as well as people who came into contact with the deceased are under being closely monitored, she added.
“So far, three contacts, those who were in close contact with the deceased are admitted to Windhoek Central Hospital, Isolation Unit for close monitoring,” Katjivena revealed. –Sharma Mundingi