REHOBOTH, 21 MAR – Khomas Region, four time winners of The Namibian Newspaper Cup, on Wednesday named their football team for this year’s tournament slated for Katima Mulilo.
The 18th edition of the annual tournament, starting on 30 March and ending on 02 April, will for the first time include a netball category as well.
Speaking to Nampa on Wednesday, Khomas team manager Immanuel Boois said they are ready as they have played friendly matches against the likes of the HopSol team.
“Some of the boys even play for their respective teams in the Khomas Second Division over weekends which counts in our favour as it helps to keep them fit and sharp,” Boois said.
He said Khomas will approach each match as a final once the competition kicks off.
“For the last two years we played to the best of our abilities, but we came up short. In 2016 in Rundu we were runners-up and 2017 in Swakopmund we ended in fourth place,” Boois said.
He said with the likes of Vaino Uugwanga, Pitsi Ameb and Stevano Dundee who were part of the Under-17 Council of Southern Africa Football Associations winning team, he does not see any other team stopping them.
“From last year’s Khomas team we also have Lionel Routh and Nkoskinathi Mangena,” Boois said.
Khomas are drawn in Group A with Kunene, Otjozondjupa and Kavango West.
The selected players are:
1. Ro-Gionio Goagoseb (Swallows Football Academy)
2. Kahuure Mbajoroka (City Boys)
3. Rasantino Xoagub (Swallows)
4. Pitsi Ameb (Swallows)
5. Nkosinathi Mangena (City Boys)
6. Dwain Kinda (Swallows)
7. Tjatindi Vaitavera (Namib Colts)
8. Godwin Eiseb (Kaizen Football Academy)
9. Rikambura Muundjua (City Boys)
10. Tjipenanjambi Karuuome (Kaizen)
11. Stevano Dundee (Swallows)
12. Arnold Kardom (Kaizen)
13. Verimuno Zaongara (City Boys)
14. Kamatuka Edmar (Ramblers)
15. Vaino Uugwanga (Sport Klub Windhoek)
16. Deltry Hoebeb (Swallows)
17. Mastriano Kohima (Swallows)
18. Lionel Routh (Kaizen)
19. Wesley Urion (Swallows)
20. Zadien Van Wyk (Kaizen)