KABUL, Aug. 21 — All the attackers who fired rockets into Kabul city on Tuesday morning had been killed and the cleanup operation was over, Afghan Interior Ministry spokesman Najib Danesh said.
A group of militants occupied a building in Kabul city on Tuesday morning and began attacking government buildings and installations, triggering a gun battle.
“All the attackers, possibly two or three terrorists, occupied a building to terrorize people by firing but all of them were killed in gunshots by security personnel,” Danesh told reporters at the site of the incident.
He also asserted that only two police personnel were injured in the fight.
However, a local media outlet the Tolonews reported that the residents had counted as many as 22 rockets fired by militants. Reportedly two people had been killed and four others injured.
Earlier, Kabul police spokesman Hashmat Stanikzai confirmed that three rockets fired by militants slammed into Police District 10 and Police District 2 but caused no loss of life.
The rocket attacks on Kabul city took place just one day after Afghan President Mohammad Ashraf Ghani announced a three-month conditional ceasefire starting on Monday, a day before Eidul Adha, the Muslims’ largest annual religious festival observed on Tuesday Aug. 21, urging Taliban outfit to follow suit.
Taliban militants, according to Afghans, have rejected the government’s offer of ceasefire by firing rockets on the city.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attacks. – XINHUA