By Foibe Paavo
Walvis Bay, August 13 -– The people of Twaloloka in Walvis Bay were devastated when two people died and another sustained serious injury in a raging fire that destroyed 20 shacks at the Walvis Bay informal settlement.
The community was shattered after a mother and her child died in the massive fire at Twaloloka in Kilimanjaro street, Tutaleni Walvis Bay on Friday evening around 23h30 where about 20 shacks were destroyed, and about three houses were damaged.
This left a feeling of deja vu after the people experienced a similar catastrophe in July 2020 when a fire destroyed 3200 shacks and claimed the life of a one-year-old boy.
The cause of Friday’s fire is suspected to be a burning candle at the shack where 38-year-old Ermelinda Dausas and her two-year-old boy Cristian Dausab died.
The fire then spread fast to 10 other shacks before destroying 10 more shacks in the neighbourhood.
According to the Erongo police report, the Dausas and Dausab persons were burnt to death and their remains were taken to Walvis Bay Police mortuary. Their next of kin have been informed of their death.
One public member sustained severe injuries as he fell while he was assisting in extinguishing the fire