HENTIES BAY, 03 APR – Incomplete low-cost houses in Henties Bay that were handed over to beneficiaries, will now have to be returned to the municipality for completion.
The houses were allocated to 17 beneficiaries on a waiting list on a first come, first served basis.
After the contractor abandoned the project and beneficiaries became impatient, the unfinished houses were handed over to them in February this year to complete construction themselves.
After complaints were received, the municipality at a management committee meeting last week, decided that the houses should be returned for the local authority to complete.
Council chairperson Herman !Honeb on Tuesday said the municipality administration had consulted with the community and told them if they need the houses urgently, they could take ownership of the houses and complete it themselves.
“The pressure from them to get the houses was so high that it was decided those who can afford to complete their houses, should do so. This was done on the agreement that the cost of the houses would be reduced for those who will cover the remaining work,” said /Honeb.
The price of the houses was reduced from N$80 000 to N$40 000.
Complaints were however received from the beneficiaries, many of whom turned up at the municipality last Wednesday to seek an audience with Chief Executive Officer Reinhardt Ochs.
Irya Gabriel and Melissa !Gaoses, who spoke to Nampa before the meeting, said they were unhappy about having to start paying for the houses at the end of April while the houses were not complete.
“My house has no doors, no windows, even the floor is not there. I am supposed to use my money to complete it while at the same time they expect me to pay by the end of April,” Gabriel said.
Her monthly instalment is N$465.
!Gaoses said her house lacks a roof and windows, but she is expected to pay her N$371 monthly instalments from the end of April.
Efforts to get comment from Ochs on Tuesday, failed.