WASHINGTON, Nov. 14 — The U.S. State Department said here Tuesday that it has not heard the audio recording related to the death of a Saudi journalist, Jamal Khashoggi. However, it hinted that the U.S. side would take more action against the kingdom over the case.
In a press briefing, State Department spokesperson Heather Nauert said that “the State Department has not heard any audio. There was one report about that, and I think we attempted to clarify that. I think the secretary was very clear that he had not heard any audio.”
“That still stands today,” she added.
However, she said that the U.S. actions “will not end with the visa revocations and the blocking of certain Saudi officials from coming into the United States.”
Speaking to journalists earlier on Tuesday, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said the audio recording of Khashoggi’s case had been shared with Saudi Arabia, the United States, France, Canada, Germany and Britain.
The audio recordings were so “atrocious” that a Saudi intelligent officer was shocked and speculated that one perpetrator was perhaps using heroin, he added.
However, the French side has reportedly denied having received any audio recordings from Turkey.
In the press briefing, Nauert added that during his telephone conversation with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman on Nov. 11, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo “has spoken to the fact that the United States government is compiling some of its own data and taking a look at those facts.”
“We’re getting information from a variety of sources, as any government would,” she noted.
The U.S. Congress has urged a thorough investigation in the murder of Khashoggi, and threatened to take more actions against Saudi Arabia if those responsible were not held accountable, such as suspending the U.S. military sales to Saudi Arabia and sanctioning the kingdom. – XINHUA