Death toll of Libya’s Tripoli clashes rises to 147: WHO
TRIPOLI, April 15– A total of 147 people have been killed and 614 others wounded in the fighting between the UN-backed Libyan government and the east-based army in and around the capital Tripoli so far, the World Health Organization (WHO) said late Sunday.
“Tripoli crisis toll is now 147 dead and 614 wounded. WHO has deployed surgical teams to support hospitals as they cope with the influx of trauma cases,” WHO said in a statement.
The east-based army, led by Khalifa Haftar, has been leading a military campaign since early April to take over Tripoli where the UN-backed government is based.
Libya has been struggling to make a democratic transition amid insecurity and chaos ever since the fall of former leader Muammar Gaddafi’s regime in 2011. – XINHUA